Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Eternal
Thank God Iím an atheist

The beauty of atheism

Sorry if something like this has been done already. I did have a browse but could not see anything like it.

I thought it may be beneficial to anyone who looks to see some of the reasons why we are atheists. Not just the obvious slagging off religion, maybe something a little more poetic. Can you name one thing about atheism that has improved your life, enriched your outlook or anything else that you see as a great positive.

One I am aware of is the added respect for life it has given me. The thought that there is no afterlife and that this life is all we get. That knowledge makes this life (mine and others) all the more precious.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Irreligious
I Live Here

I wish I could say that not believing in a God or gods has brought poetry into my life and has given some profound insight into why life is so precious (not that I'm not extremely grateful to be not-dead at the moment), but the truth is being irreligious has mostly freed me from adherence to other people's dogmas.

That, in itself, is not a bad thing, but I doubt it would sell many greeting cards.

It will be interesting to hear how others have been edified by their lack of adherence to superstition, though.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
orangeitis

There's nothing particularly "special" about it for me. It's merely a rejection of theistic claims, that's all. If there was peer reviewed scientific proof that a deity exists tomorrow, I'd become theist, because I(and probably many others here) think that it's more important to acknowledge true things and reject false things than my actual status as an atheist.

Christians! Want to convert some atheists? read this!
orangeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

It's helped me to fine tune a very efficient bullshit detector.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Clarity of thought, even if just for one topic, has to be a bonus right? Not believing allows a rational view on life that is poisoned by the superstition of religion and false hope. I don't think that we can appreciate that fully unless remembering just how jaded our world views were believing in magic and fairytales. I must admitmy love for astronomy grew more as it became clearer that the universe offered more in answering existence, than a fable.

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Eternal
Thank God Iím an atheist

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
I wish I could say that not believing in a God or gods has brought poetry into my life and has given some profound insight into why life is so precious (not that I'm not extremely grateful to be not-dead at the moment), but the truth is being irreligious has mostly freed me from adherence to other people's dogmas.

That, in itself, is not a bad thing, but I doubt it would sell many greeting cards.

It will be interesting to hear how others have been edified by their lack of adherence to superstition, though.
Maybe I didn't word it the best way when I used the word poetic. Thankfully we are not trying to sell greetings cards either. Not adhering to others dogmas is definitely a positive, one that is so often demonstrated by some of the twisted justifications people give on this forum.

Quote:
orangeitis wrote View Post
There's nothing particularly "special" about it for me. It's merely a rejection of theistic claims, that's all. If there was peer reviewed scientific proof that a deity exists tomorrow, I'd become theist, because I(and probably many others here) think that it's more important to acknowledge true things and reject false things than my actual status as an atheist.
Would you not class this as special? In a nation that is so overrun with dogma the acknowledgement of only true things is a rarity. You are in a minority. I agree about changing your status as an atheist, and was not suggesting that we would think any particular way because we are defined as atheists. I was more thinking of creating something with slightly more positive undertones for any curious people passing through. As I have said above to Irr, maybe I didn't word it as good as i could have.

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
It's helped me to fine tune a very efficient bullshit detector.
Which you use with expert discernment.

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
Clarity of thought, even if just for one topic, has to be a bonus right? Not believing allows a rational view on life that is poisoned by the superstition of religion and false hope. I don't think that we can appreciate that fully unless remembering just how jaded our world views were believing in magic and fairytales. I must admitmy love for astronomy grew more as it became clearer that the universe offered more in answering existence, than a fable.
I know what you mean. Maybe it is because I grew up believing, but I do find myself seeing things in a completely new light sometimes, quite often spurring my curiosity further.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
psychodiva
I Live Here

This

the last bit of this say it all for me

ď'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Eternal
Thank God Iím an atheist

Yeah, that is a good beat poem. I like the bit about alternative medicine.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
It's helped me to fine tune a very efficient bullshit bologna detector.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Davin
Obsessed Member

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
West491
Obsessed Member

I think that it has become an integral part of my self-perception simply because everyone (including other atheists) makes such a big deal out of it. If the majority of people were atheists, I probably wouldn't think about it as much as I do.

When I'm in the city Jesus Town, I see so many things that remind me of religion that I can't help but to associate my atheism with being "special". It has come to the point that whenever I am telling someone about myself, one of the first things that come to my mind is to tell him that I'm atheist. It's strange and I think there's someting a wee bit wrong with me.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
It has come to the point that whenever I am telling someone about myself, one of the first things that come to my mind is to tell him that I'm atheist. It's strange and I think there's someting a wee bit wrong with me.
Why?

You're just clearing the air, since most people (in the Western world) tend to align themselves with some religion or other, particularly one of the monotheistic versions and would expect you to have a similar theological adherence.

What's wrong with setting them straight, off-the-bat, if you're prepared to deal with the fallout?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
West491
Obsessed Member

I think it's strange that being atheist is one of the first things I think about to tell people who I want to know me better instead of my interests, fears, aspirations, career goals, etc. I don't think it should be like that.

I do agree that some people need to be told right off the bat where I stand on the situation -sort of an anti-preaching measure.

So what do I want?

I want to be able to experience new friendships without having to state the fact that I don't believe in fairies, ghouls and goblins.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

I'm not like you at all in that respect having always been a heathen. but if I lived in a place like you do I think I would be telling a lot of people that I am atheistic, often followed by the words; so fuck off!

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
I think it's strange that being atheist is one of the first things I think about to tell people who I want to know me better instead of my interests, fears, aspirations, career goals, etc. I don't think it should be like that.

I do agree that some people need to be told right off the bat where I stand on the situation -sort of an anti-preaching measure.

So what do I want?

I want to be able to experience new friendships without having to state the fact that I don't believe in fairies, ghouls and goblins.
Well, if you're reasonably sure that other people's religions are not going to become an issue with which you would have to deal, then I suppose raising the issue of you atheism should be moot, as well.

Is your atheism something you're compelled to disclose even when you're pretty sure it's, otherwise, not going to be an issue?

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox