Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Bible Study

Monday 10/11/09 Nothing but a mist

James 4:13-15, Proverbs 27:1

Pooooof! Did you see it? What? You missed it? Scripture says this about our lives: "We are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." Man, that sure puts things into perspective. In fact, it's downright humbling! But true. Life is fleeting and full of surprises. Take a moment and roll back the timetable. Think about where you were last year. Two years ago. Five years ago. Any surprises? Has your career taken a few unexpected twists and turns? A few wake-up calls from your family? Has the economy rocked your world? In these brief verses in James 4, the author makes two things imminently clear. First, our lives are far shorter than we'd like to admit ... like a vapor rising from the teapot and vanishing into thin air. And second, self-reliance is over-rated. Our financial future cannot be predicted nor guaranteed. When trying to forecast your own success, how much better to say these words: "If the Master wills it and we're still alive, we'll do this or that." (The Message).

For today: Admit to God that your future is entirely in His capable Hands, and that you submit yourself to His perfect will.
thomastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Irreligious
I Live Here

Why are you proselytizing here, t2? What are you hoping to accomplish? How would you feel if an invited guest showed up in your living room and entreated you to submit to the will of Allah and his last prophet on Earth, Muhammad?

Yes, you have free reign here but, surely, you have better manners than this, don't you?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
just questions

t2 = tosser squared
just questions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Buy Bull Study

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Buy Bull Study

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

This is too easy.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
just questions

biblesturdy
just questions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
Eva
Super Moderator

i gather this is not a (TFT)......

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

No, as this still is not a xian site.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
thomastwo wrote View Post
For today: Admit to God that your future is entirely in His capable Hands, and that you submit yourself to His perfect will.
The old opiate of the people angle.

What about God helps those who help themselves?

So many contradictions in religious texts. A person could spend so much time puzzling over the conflicting messages that they miss their entire life. Poor t2.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Monday 10/11/09 Nothing but a mist

James 4:13-15, Proverbs 27:1

Pooooof! Did you see it? What? You missed it? Scripture says this about our lives: "We are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." Man, that sure puts things into perspective. In fact, it's downright humbling! But true. Life is fleeting and full of surprises. Take a moment and roll back the timetable. Think about where you were last year. Two years ago. Five years ago. Any surprises? Has your career taken a few unexpected twists and turns? A few wake-up calls from your family? Has the economy rocked your world? In these brief verses in James 4, the author makes two things imminently clear. First, our lives are far shorter than we'd like to admit ... like a vapor rising from the teapot and vanishing into thin air. And second, self-reliance is over-rated. Our financial future cannot be predicted nor guaranteed. When trying to forecast your own success, how much better to say these words: "If the Master wills it and we're still alive, we'll do this or that." (The Message).

I quite understand why theists deride self reliance, it is a simple combination of cowardice in the face of inevitable extinction and a keen desire to shirk personal responsibility.

Theist terror of the unknown, so gut wrenching that they will pretend to fill the void with any scrap of insubstantial tinsel they can imagine, centers on denying the finality of death. But, once the tinsel is in place, they must prostrate themselves before it.

If they do not betray everything it means to be human and plop their face in the dust, then, by the cockeyed logic of the Master/Slave relationship, their transgressions will be erased while their enemies will be condemned to endless torture.

This is not mature adult thinking. It is infantile in the least complementary sense of that term.

Theists should have grown out of this mental thumb-sucking soon after they were successfully potty trained. Thus my suspicion is that, for them, it took a long time to learn the sequence: sit, clench, wipe, flush.

Each theist who comes here and craps on the floor, many of them doing it deliberately, reinforces the inadequate parental training hypothesis. Their crappy parents should not be honored.

A particularly ugly form of theist crap is the Biblical quote. Unless it is included to validate a point about what the vile and evil book actually says, a Biblical quote is a crappy and pointless insult to us. It is "white noise".

Speaking of "we are only a mist", I would not give even the vapor from the sweat on the ass of a flea hiding in the armpit of the corpse of a frozen diseased rat what any of your scriptures (writings) say about anything.

I do reserve the right to ridicule you theists for whatever selected parts of scripture (writing) that you claim to believe as well as your comical reliance on faith.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Pooooof! Did you see it? What? You missed it? Scripture says this about our lives: "We are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

So your holy book from god basically says "life is like a fart"? Jeez, I could have written that.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I guess I'm missing what the huge revelation is here. Around the time the Bible was written, people knew that they weren't immortal? Wow, amazing!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
Lily

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
I do reserve the right to ridicule you theists for whatever selected parts of scripture (writing) that you claim to believe as well as your comical reliance on faith.
Sure, why not? Just as I reserve the right to ridicule your ahistorical, ignorant opinions on the Bible and on Christianity.

When are you going to substantiate your claim than many doubles have been killed in place of the real political figure (or anyone else. I'm not fussy)? Hmmmm? When are you going to substantiate your claim to have a plausible theory about how a substitute for Jesus was brought in that fits the known facts?

DO IT, Sternpurnpiso!