Old 08-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
seanflan50

Question Strange picture- any suggestions?

I was hoping someone could come up with a scientific explanation for this picture, to justify my skepticism. I took this picture in a supposedly "haunted" series of underground vaults in the city of Edinburgh. I know that the orbs can most of the time be written off as dust specks, but it is the weird formation in the upper right hand corner of the picture that is puzzling me. It is a kind of hand-looking stream of something white. I tried to write it off as a cobweb at first, but then I looked at other pictures of cobwebs that I took in the vaults and they looked nothing like this. Also there is the fact that is seems to be most solid looking at the bottom and seems to fade away towards the top of the picture, but you can see strange looking creases fading towards the edge of the picture. I've been going crazy trying to figure out what it could possibly have been.

These are the links to the picture in question:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29848876@N02/2794182306/ (full picture)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29848876@N02/2794257306/ (cropped picture showing closer view of whatever it was)
Old 08-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
DrunkMonkey
Alcoholic Primate

Looks like a cobweb or some other fibrous material hanging down off of that one stone. That would explain why it is less "solid-looking"- the part attached to the stone is stretched out. It certainly doesn't look like a hand.

Now why don't you go and introduce yourself?

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins
DrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
seanflan50

Well I'm not saying it was a hand... I was just pointing out the shape. As I said before, at first I tried to write it off as a spider web, but then when I looked at other pictures I took down there that had spider webs in them, they looked nothing like it. There is also the fact that the whatever is is is angled away from the wall, and as we were at least 50 feet underground there was no possible way there could have been a breeze. Also, I was at least 10 feet away from that point when I took the picture, so I highly doubt I could have disturbed something. It's just... odd
Old 08-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
ghoulslime
I Live Here

It appears to be a cobweb which is being drawn into the cavern by a draft. The draft is most likely caused by disparity in temperature between the air outside of the door and the air inside of the door. Itís a great Halloween photo, but unlikely there were any spookies reaching down to steal your hat.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
psychodiva
I Live Here

ditto Ghoul- and the camera lens also needs cleaning- the dust specks look like dirt on the lens but the other thing- definitely a cobweb lol

ď'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
psychodiva
I Live Here

Here you go- this may help

http://www.csicop.org/si/9607/ghost.html

ď'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
seanflan50

Thanks guys, that works. I just needed something convincing to tell my brother, who is like OMG A GHOST... quite annoying really