Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #1756
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #1757
Irreligious
I Live Here

While I agree that it's all silly nonsense that is taken dead seriously by Roman Catholics, what should have been the proper protocol for the prime minister?

Had he refused the host, that would have caused a controversy all its own with the cameras present to document his impudence before Roman Catholic onloookers. And no "serious" Evangelical Protestant is going to eat a Catholic communion wafer in public, again, especially with cameras present to document his "blasphemy" before his fellow Evangelicals.

Looks like Harper was put in a no-win situation. Why did the priest offer him the host anyway? Wasn't the priest aware that Harper is not a Roman Catholic?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #1758
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
While I agree that it's all silly nonsense that is taken dead seriously by Roman Catholics, what should have been the proper protocol for the prime minister?

Had he refused the host, that would have caused a controversy all its own with the cameras present to document his impudence before Roman Catholic onloookers. And no "serious" Evangelical Protestant is going to eat a Catholic communion wafer in public, again, especially with cameras present to document his "blasphemy" before his fellow Evangelicals.

Looks like Harper was put in a no-win situation. Why did the priest offer him the host anyway? Wasn't the priest aware that Harper is not a Roman Catholic?
Protocol: If you ain't Catholic, you shouldn't be up there tucking into Jesus. The RC onlookers know this and there would not have been a controversy at all if he'd just said no, the big dummy. He wasn't supposed to walk up there with all the cannibals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #1759
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #1760
wohaz

im sorry, but i jsut had to post this one after the video.

anyway, the reason he was given that, was due to the fact that he was not catholic.
they knew who he was, trust me, presits make a note of that.
he knew who he was, and like everyone else, wanted to get that jesus into him.
its all at of the religous war.
much like a parent forccing his child to eat peas/other vegitable he dosent like.
"here, take and belive, damit steven believe!, thats it, go to your room and think about going to hell!"
Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #1761
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #1762
wohaz

Old 08-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #1763
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Kneel in reverence, clasp the Eucharist, tap the head of the god three times with your tongue, then wait for its Grace to White bless your face. In Its name Amen.
Only Christ-psychotic Catholics need crackers, the rest of the retards can submit to the REAL thing, which unfortunately for them is SIN.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #1764
eternal0void

Religious arguments aside, the "blessed wafer" is handed to individuals, by the priest or lay assistant, who receive it with the understanding that the wafer will be consumed on the spot. Refusing to do so violates the agreement between the Catholic Church and the recipient, an agreement in which the recipient receives the wafer for free and without having to sign any paperwork swearing that he is a devout Catholic (which puts them at least two notches above the Scientologists).

There are secular analogies. Right now bars sell alcoholic drinks with the understanding that they will be consumed on the premises. Taking them outside the bar has been made illegal in most places in the U.S. (if not everywhere), even though (provided you pour the drink out of the bar's glass before leaving) there's no "direct harm" situation which will result from the drink leaving the bar, much like the wafer leaving the church uneaten. In both instances, its largely an issue of morality: a person leaving a bar holding an open drink is seen as exhibiting immoral behavior in public, much as a person leaving a Catholic Church with an uneaten blessed wafer is seen as exhibiting immoral behavior in public.

The rather interesting fact is that even Catholics consider an unblessed wafer to be "a dry ... unleavened piece of flour" (I've had several and can personally attest that the flavor is rather nice). If the student wanted to show a a friend a Catholic wafer, of the type which is blessed in the Sacrament of the Eucharist, asking the priest for an unblessed wafer might have succeeded in getting the student an unblessed wafer.

One can be an atheist without being an a**hole. It can be done!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #1765
eternal0void

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Prime Minister Stephen Harper pockets Jesus and bails!

(What's an Evangelical doing at the Catholic buffet line in the first place eh?)

EDIT:
Holy Crap It's on Youtube
Like I said, if you go up to get the wafer, you agree to eat it right there. If you don't want to eat the wafer, don't get in line.

NOTE: Just because you choose to abstain from the Eucharist doesn't mean you'll be alone in the pews, or that you'll be considered a "bad Catholic." You could have "celiac." This is a condition which makes wheat gluten a deadly poison.

Despite the efforts of a crack team of cloistered techno-nuns in northwestern Missouri, who have developed a 100% gluten-free rice wafer, Pope Benedict has declared that the wafers used in the Eucharist need to be made from only one kind of grain: wheat **. This means that celiac sufferers cannot receive the wafer without risking a painful death.

Like peanut allergies, celiac can be deadly on a very tiny amount of wheat gluten. This means that receiving the wine is a problem as well: the person before them in line receives the wafer, begins chewing, drinks from the wine cup, and leaves a tiny amount of wafer in the cup. While the wine is still safe for normal people to drink (alcohol being a disinfectant), the tiny amount of gluten present in the wine will still kill the celiac sufferer.

So celiac sufferers who are Catholic generally have to abstain, unwillingly, from the Sacrament of Eucharist. The same crack team of techno-nuns has developed a wheat wafer which is 99.99% gluten-free (they are cloistered and celibate) so moderate to mild celiac sufferers may still receive the Eucharist without dying (just a lot of pain instead), but severe celiac sufferers who are Catholic still cannot receive the Sacrament of Eucharist.

** = This is because "wheat" is what the Pope considers the "grain of the poor": yes, the Asian countries, where rice is the "grain of the poor" and wheat must be imported at considerable expense, are understandably upset.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #1766
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Greetings 0-eternal one.
You are most welcome to post a few notes in our esteemed "Introduce Yourself" thread - if it tickles your fancy.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 AM   #1767
Lily

Quote:
eternal0void wrote View Post
One can be an atheist without being an a**hole. It can be done!
I used to think that too!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:29 AM   #1768
eternal0void

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I used to think that too!
I've been a (generally) polite atheist from age 18 onwards.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 AM   #1769
Lily

Quote:
eternal0void wrote View Post
I've been a (generally) polite atheist from age 18 onwards.
If you hang out here for long, that will change. Of course, you will probably remain polite in real life. I imagine that many here are reasonably pleasant in real life. The virtual world doesn't bring out the best in most of us.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #1770
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
The virtual world doesn't bring out the best in most of us.
Bollocks !!

Stop the Holy See men!