Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Chris
Please vote!

I want to thank everyone who donated for giving me the chance to make the forum better. :thumbsup:

I'm going to get in touch with them today and see what's involved in converting the forum to vbulletin. Hopefully I'll be able to set up a test install that everyone can play with before we make the move complete. Of coarse there will probably be some downtime. I'll be taking it slow, I don't want to rush the move at all, our database has over 400mb in it! That's a lot of data to back up and convert. What I'm most concerned about is users with spaces and odd characters in their names, like -"*$. If there will be an issue with the user names, I'll get in touch with each of you to change your names.

I'll update here as I know more.

[EDIT 2007-08-08]

There is a test install here: http://ravingatheists.com/testforum/. Feel free to sign up up or whatever if you want to BUT everything wil be deleted when I attempt to import this forum in the new one!

Unfortunately the process of moving over to the new forum is going to take me a little time. I don't know the software that well and I don't want to rush into it and have all sorts of problems.

And Eva, please sign up so you can before familiar with the modding options. BTW there are Mods and Super Mods. Maybe we could have a few lower mods to help keep the franks waltons away?

[/EDIT]

[EDIT 2007-08-10]

What will be lost when the forum is moved to vBulletin:

- Polls will not be imported.
- Premalinks to other posts will be broken as Vbulletin makes diffrent URLS.
- Your password may have to be reset, so please make sure your email address is up-to-date.

[/EDIT]

"Where they burn books, they will in the end also burn people." ~ Heinrich Heine
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Eva
Super Moderator

wonderful!

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
HeathenLifer

This sounds like a good thing. What are the advantaes of vbulletin? (I'm ignorant about stuff like this).

If your calculator adds your inputs 2 and 3 and gets 5, but the real problem you were trying to solve was 2 plus 2, the machine gives the wrong answer for your problem. The machine isn\'t broken and yet it got the wrong answer. It was gullible and believed your lie and behaved accordingly. - Sternwallow
HeathenLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Chris - do you need a contingency fund to upgrade and keep it running?
Let us know, so we can all tap into our fairy-godbanker as necessary.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
skribb

That's good to hear. vBulletin is a nice piece of software. Just be sure to enable all the bells and whistles, settings-wise, and to pump in alot of themes to choose from :)