Old 02-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #106
Gathercole

Damn you, Victus, your everlasting patience is making me want to be sincere with these people. Even if it is like DontbeStupid says, I wonder if we've given them something to think about... we can hope it's like that anyway.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #107
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Gathercole wrote
Damn you, Victus, your everlasting patience is making me want to be sincere with these people. Even if it is like DontbeStupid says, I wonder if we've given them something to think about... we can hope it's like that anyway.
Ultimately, if we behave reasonably and consistenty then we will always win a discussion. Regardless of whether they are honest or not, should they ever 'drop the act', we appear to be the straight-forward and intelligent ones, where as they come off as ignorant and childish. Of course, that's just the pragmatic reasoning behind it all.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #108
Choobus
I Live Here

bollocks to that. There's no discussion to win. These shiteating christologists come in here and start mouth farting a thunderous wind of ignorance, and then expect you to prove that their asinine fantasies are bogus. Simply refraining from flaming these servents of fecality for a single post is a great honour, one which very few of them deserve.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #109
Kamikaze189

I think there is less hope for the theists who are so sure they are right they come to an atheist forum to spew insults at us, I would agree with that. Those people are truly beyond the point of reasoning. Your average joe theist, though, well, that's what I was, and I'm an atheist now. I know that if someone had come up to me and pointed out everything I later realized about religion, I would've become an atheist or at least an agnostic. Not necessarily on the spot, but there are some pretty good questions.

Like: "Got any evidence?"

“Whoever attacks the popular falsehoods of his time will find that a lie defends itself by telling other lies.” - Robert Ingersoll
Kamikaze189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #110
NorfolkAtheist

When it comes to their precious bullshit beliefs, theists operate on a different cognitive level than rationalists. Most theists don't even bother engaging in debate because they'd prefer their beliefs to go unchallenged, and the majority of the theists who do engage in deabtes are intellectually dishonest proselytizers. They don't have a real interest in debate; they're just spreading the "good word" like their fucking book tells them to.