Wednesday, June 22, 2005
AU's Lynn Says Proposed Amendment Elevates Flag To A Sacred Symbol
CONTACT

Press:
Joseph Conn, Rob Boston, or Jeremy Leaming
202-466-3234 telephone
202-466-2587 fax
http://www.au.org/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Americans United Blasts House Vote Approving Flag Desecration Amendment

AU's Lynn Says Proposed Amendment Elevates Flag To A Sacred Symbol

Americans United for Separation of Church and State today deplored the House of Representatives for approving a proposed constitutional amendment to outlaw desecration of the American flag.

This afternoon, after several hours of debate, the House voted 286 - 130 in favor of H.J. Res.10, which proposes an amendment to the Constitution allowing Congress “to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States.”

“Today’s vote shows it’s the Constitution, not the flag that’s in danger,” said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United.

“Politicians are seeking to declare the flag a sacred symbol and enshrine its sacredness in the Constitution,” Lynn continued. “The very term ‘desecration’ implies the destruction of something sacred. It is an affront to the Constitution’s religious liberty clauses for Congress to proclaim that a secular symbol of our nation is sacred.”

During floor debate, several lawmakers spoke of the flag as if it were a religious symbol.

Rep. Steve Chabot (R-Ohio) said the flag, is the nation’s most “sacred symbol.”

Echoing Chabot, Rep. Candice Miller (R-Mich.) took to the floor to declare, “Some things in this nation are sacred, and the flag is the most sacred” among them.

Rep. Tom Osborne (R-Neb) likened the flag’s symbolic value to religious icons and literature, such as the cross, the menorah and the Koran.

Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) said, “We must act now to protect our nation’s most sacred symbol.”

Today’s vote was the seventh time the House has passed a resolution proposing a constitutional amendment banning desecration of the flag. Similar resolutions, however, have never garnered the necessary two-thirds vote in the Senate. A constitutional amendment requires two-thirds majorities in both chambers of Congress and ratification by three-fourths of the states.

Lynn noted that religious leaders have urged defeat of a constitutional amendment barring desecration of the flag. In a letter sent to Senators in 1999, religious leaders, such as Rabbi Balfour Brickner, the Rev. Timothy McDonald and the Rev. Brent Walker wrote, “No government should arrogate to itself the right to declare ‘holy’ and capable of ‘desecration’ that which is not associated with the divine. To do so is to mandate idolatry for people of faith by government fiat.”

Lynn urged the Senate to again defeat the proposed constitutional amendment, saying that the “Constitution should not be used to create and protect from objection a sacred symbol.”

Americans United is a religious liberty watchdog group based in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1947, the organization educates Americans about the importance of church-state separation in safeguarding religious freedom.

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
snap crafter

So... wait... you can't desecrate a cross?
Old 04-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Okay, so maybe the whole Iraq thing was ill-advised. And Iran is going nukyulear, but we can bomb those faux ragheads back to before the Stone Age -- no doubt that will endear us to Muslims the world over. Global warming? Our bad! But our suave diplomacy skills have really straightened out North Korea, haven't they? And yes, we turned a surplus into a staggering deficit. Oil is up to $70 a barrel -- that couldn't be helped, what with our democritizin' the Middle East and all. Katrina? Well, mistakes were made. Sorry, New Orleans!

But with mid-term elections coming up, maybe we should focus on really, really important issues.

But Clinton lied about drilling a fat chick!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Choobus
I Live Here

what the fuck! Phil, where did you get that Treborn shit from?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Over here, Choobus.

I hope I didn't stir up any shit! I'd hate, for example, if you were to go over there and call him a polyp on the colon of humanity or anything. JizZ reborn has an interesting m.o. No matter what you say to him, whether you're calling him a festering douche-bag or taking a steamer on his commentary using logic or asking him if he does anal, his response is always the same: 'typcial atheist.' Whatever you do, don't be rude.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 04-16-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
Sternwallow
I Live Here

In earlier times, pre "under god", I questioned the notion of being loyal to a piece of patterned fabric. Wouldn't loyalty to paisley be more elegant, I wondered. The answer I got was that the loyalty was to the country through its symbol, the flag. From then on, I recited "I pledge allegience to the United States of America, one nation, with liberty and justice."

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I don't know if the Republicans are bringing up bogus, hot-button important issues like homo marriage, abortion, and flag-burning to try to divert Merkins' attention from the toilet hole we're all swirling down because of them, but it's funny that the flag bill that the Senate is circle yanking over now considering was introduced last year by California Republican Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham who's currently prison bitch to a crew calling themselves The Almighty Ploughshares serving an eight-year prison sentence for accepting $2.4 million in bribes. Funny because the very bullshit they're attempting to use as a diversion reminds us of more Republican bullshit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Choobus
I Live Here

what happensif you are wearing american flag underwear (as so many people do) and you shit yourself? Does that count as desecration?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Choobus wrote
what happensif you are wearing american flag underwear (as so many people do) and you shit yourself? Does that count as desecration?
Dude, wearing the flag anywhere on your body is desecration:

(From the US Flag Code)

Section 8, (d): d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. (No exemptions for NASCAR fans, either!)

Section 8, (i): (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. So much for those 4th of July paper napkins.

Section 8, (j): No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. Do Rebel Flag bikinis count?

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:17 AM   #10
RenaissanceMan

LOLOL I love the part where it implies that if raised to 'sacred' status, it becomes idolatry to 'worship' it.

...Vote....The....Jesus.....Freaks.....Out.....Of. .....Office.....

This whole neo-christian movement is going to send us back to the fucking crusades if it's not stopped.

Too late! We're already AT the crusades. The inquisition is next. Make it stop!
Old 05-05-2006, 04:44 AM   #11
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Choobus wrote
THat would be a defecation.

Isn't it kinda obvious that if they make it crime to defecate the flag, then every flea-bitten malcontent in the country is going to crap on the flag, cuz they know it'll get them beaucoup attention?

"A sticker bearing the American Flag adorns the back of all NFL helmets to honor troops fighting in the Gulf War." -- That's from 1991, and I think they still use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #12
Herbalizer

You can't have an abortion, you can't burn the flag, you can't protest the war, you can't have any privacy but you can have as many guns as you want. Guns are good, we need more.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #13
ocmpoma

You know what I love best about the flag code, Ten? The fact that the US Army wears the flag on their uniform.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #14
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ocmpoma wrote
You know what I love best about the flag code, Ten? The fact that the US Army wears the flag on their uniform.
Those Heretics! No wonder gawd is punishing us.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote