Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #256
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
kowalskil wrote View Post
Yes indeed; dealing with spiritual claims belongs to spiritualists (theologists) not scientists (materialists).
I guess I wasn't too clear, if someone makes a claim, it can be tested with science. All I mean is that scientists shouldn't give a shit about whether the claim comes from a theist or not. Just deal with the claim like any other without caring about religion.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #257
kowalskil

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
... Pssst, Ludwik! Do you know the forum rules on spamming?
Yes, promoting commercial products would be spamming. But my online autobiography is free. And I just placed the link into the signature. In this way the URL will not appear in the body of the message.

By the way, I also published a Kindle book, a mini-tutorial about using Kindle. I am tempted to post the link. But the book costs $0.99 and posting the link would violate the rules. I also hate spam.

Ludwik Kowalski

See “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”
http//csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html
based on my diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).
kowalskil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #258
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Yes[...]
Good!

Quote:
kowalskil wrote
[..]promoting commercial products would be spamming.
Damn it, you don't, you dirty little liar.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #259
Irreligious
I Live Here

Promoting an outside blog or Internet forum dedicated to one's own personal aggrandizement is spamming, Kowalski. You don't have license to perpetually promote your brand of Christianity here. That's not the purpose of this forum.

Besides, it's rude and shows that you're mainly interested in using us for your own selfish gain.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #260
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
By the way, I also published a Kindle book, a mini-tutorial about using Kindle. I am tempted to post the link. But the book costs $0.99 and posting the link would violate the rules. I also hate spam.
Plus, you already posted the link. No, in fact, you made a thread about it. Therefore, you can bug off now.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #261
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

weirdo!

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #262
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Fear not, his spam link appears to be working ok now.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #263
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

I must admit I found it most helpful.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #264
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Promoting an outside blog or Internet forum dedicated to one's own personal aggrandizement is spamming, Kowalski. You don't have license to perpetually promote your brand of Christianity here. That's not the purpose of this forum.

Besides, it's rude and shows that you're mainly interested in using us for your own selfish gain.
I am reading through his book now - to be fair there doesn't seem to be a lot of religion associated to it, mostly memoirs about his life. Though I'm only on chapter 2 so who knows what happens after that, I don't know if I'll finish it.

So I don't think he's promoting his christianity in it. However I do agree with the no promoting in signature rule, and support it being removed.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #265
kowalskil

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
.. . So I don't think he's promoting his christianity in it. ...
Hmm, why would a Jewish person promote Christianity?

Ludwik Kowalski

See “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”
http//csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html
based on my diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).
kowalskil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #266
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
The second part is a call to something outside the context of science. If the science leads to there being something other than demon possession, then the people should act, science is just a methodology and we must emply other methodologies to deal with that kind of behavior, not attach it onto science to make it even worse. Use science to explain things and why you think one should or shouldn't do something, but don't try to increase the scope of science.
This is an exciting prospect, a methodology that can do for the moral and spiritual what the scientific method does for knowledge of reality.

Suppose we set science aside for a moment and consider a question that may not be in the scope of science to answer. "Give no thought for tomorrow, do not plan ahead, neither sow nor till because the end of worldly things is near." How would you go about determining if this was good advice or bad?

What methodology would you use to separate bad advice like "do not wear a mixture of fabrics" or "do not protect your child from being killed and eaten by your community" from reasonably good advice like "do not commit perjury"?

We all have biases in our judgments so, to reach a valid position, what part of your non-scientific validation method would best locate and eliminate moral or spiritual bias? Hint: it is not asking your pastor.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #267
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

The spiritual methodology of de-clarification is so abundantly clear - it involves a combination (in no particular order) of goalpost moving, reinterpretation, translation, adding a bit, frightening the shit out of, forgetting dodgy bits and making up a bit of new stuff. The peer review process is something to behold!!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #268
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
This is an exciting prospect, a methodology that can do for the moral and spiritual what the scientific method does for knowledge of reality.

Suppose we set science aside for a moment and consider a question that may not be in the scope of science to answer. "Give no thought for tomorrow, do not plan ahead, neither sow nor till because the end of worldly things is near." How would you go about determining if this was good advice or bad?

What methodology would you use to separate bad advice like "do not wear a mixture of fabrics" or "do not protect your child from being killed and eaten by your community" from reasonably good advice like "do not commit perjury"?

We all have biases in our judgments so, to reach a valid position, what part of your non-scientific validation method would best locate and eliminate moral or spiritual bias? Hint: it is not asking your pastor.
There are many options, different things work for different people. I have no problem with using science to support ones method and views of good and bad things.

Which science do propose should be used or created to handle these questions? Because knowing what something actually is, is different from determining whether one likes or dislikes the thing.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #269
divine zombie

It's because of this 'debate' that I don't call myself an atheist.

I will reconsider the matter when a word exists for people who have sussed out that santa, nessie, fairies, unicorns etc don't exist.

Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers.
divine zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #270
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Skeptics?

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote