Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
NathanielFisher

Cosmological argument with a "non-ID" Theist.

So, I'm in a conversation on YouTube with someone. He claims he is a theist, but not an ID-ist. However Michael Behe, an ID proponent, also shares the same views as him. So I think he is an ID-ist. He has also made the distinction between "macro and micro" evolution. I have said that evolutionary biologists don't usually make this distinction.

He is using the cosmological argument. However I've stated that it's at least as unlikely as the universe coming into existence via chance, or there being a multiverse. I've also pointed out that for such an intelligent god to exist there would have to be an infinite regress. He then of course says that god is eternal and outside of nature (whilst also being inside of nature, hence "omnipotence".) Also I've said there is no reason for it to be an intelligent god as he claims it is, it could be anything. I've also said that if god is *inside* nature there is no observable evidence for this.

He then uses the argument that there is such a small chance of the universe being created, so "god must have done it". However if there is an infinite amount of "time" outside our finite universe, then "nature", a non-intelligent thing which created the universe, would of had an infinite amount of "time" to "make" the universe. So it's not improbable at all.

Other things he has said include: Richard Dawkins doesn't believe in the Big Bang. I showed him this was wrong. He said that he believed in Einstein's interpretation of god. But he doesn't, because Einstein didn't believe in a personal, intelligent, theistic god.

With another agnostic-atheist poster he then reverts back to:

"With our current understanding of the universe, it is, in fact, more logical to BELIEVE in God (an intelligent designer, not in the sense of ID) than not to. Perhaps in a few hundred years, your position will be more viable. However, for now, it is irrational to believe that the electron, gravity, chemical reactions and evolution are all a product of random chance."

[MY QUESTION:] What do you say to this after all we've been through?

I mean the intelligent designer he postulates must be as or more complex than the universe "it" created so just if not more unlikely than a non-intelligent "designer".
Old 07-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Chances Created by Time. With time anything can happen. How many time one had to hit a ball with a stick to have a hole in one? Was it done because an ID, god or Supernatural force made it happen? No, simple time. Give it time and gods will be created. IOW, Chronos with its rays of chance created and instance that would became 14 billion years. Negativism became positivism or non-existence became existence in an instant. TIME, the active thought of an electron.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
NathanielFisher

A reponse I got:

"I'll frame this as a reply to the following statement:
"With our current understanding of the universe, it is, in fact, more logical to BELIEVE in God (an intelligent designer, not in the sense of ID) than not to. Perhaps in a few hundred years, your position will be more viable. However, for now, it is irrational to believe that the electron, gravity, chemical reactions and evolution are all a product of random chance."
It is not logical to have faith in anything as faith by it's very nature is incompatible with reason and logic. Faith is the belief in something without or in spite of evidence. How can that be logical at all? It isn't. What is sad, though, is this poor uneducated soul (pun intended) believes that chance is the basis on which all science is built. That's nuts. There's no evidence to suggest that the Big Bang was entirely random. It likely had very specific scientific causes which we will eventually explain. For now there are many very interesting hypothesis which are all based in one way or another on some evidence."
Old 07-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Umm, is this blow by blow supposed to be a reachget-around to spamming a link?

Srsly, who are you?

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
NathanielFisher

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Umm, is this blow by blow supposed to be a reachget-around to spamming a link?

Srsly, who are you?
No "obsessed", paranoid member.

I just wanted to know what other people think to improve my understanding of the subject.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Kate

Oh.

Well, then, I think you should fuck off

Old 07-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
NathanielFisher

Deleted...
Old 07-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
Kate

Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
NathanielFisher

Deleted...
Old 07-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Kate

Old 07-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
Kate

Old 07-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
NathanielFisher

Okay, we got off on the wrong foot. I apologise. I just want to come here for dicussion because this seems like a fun forum. Sorry.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post

Well, then, I think you should fuck off

Jolly good show old girl, keeping the riff raff out and all.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
Kate

Oh, yeah, Nathaniel:

Old 07-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
NathanielFisher

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post

Jolly good show old girl, keeping the riff raff out and all.
I'm not riff raff. Nooo. How did this happen? What can I do?